NGFW Routing & Switching VS Router Routing & switching performances

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

NGFW Routing & Switching VS Router Routing & switching performances

L0 Member

Hello,

As the NGFW supports routing & switching capabilities why do I need to add a router to connect to the WAN, I am mainly using OSPF and BGP  and MPLS in my router and all these features are present in a NGFW, I need to understand if I really need a firewall + a WAN router or a NGFW alone can do the job? Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Ahmed_Zerkouk 

Depends on your use case. If you can accomplish everything that you need to directly on the firewall without using a dedicated router that's perfectly fine. As NGFWs have become more and more powerful they've started to replace dedicated routers in smaller networks or networks that simply don't use many router features. Others will still find a lot of use in having a dedicated router or will require one because the edge firewall simply isn't large enough to handle all of the networks routing. 

Integrated FW/Router has been the norm for home connections for ever. 

Often for business connections the service has been wires+routers but wires only is becoming more prevalent. so long as your service provider is happy to provide connection details then there is no reason to need their router.

Our main PA had both a wires only + routed connection for some time until we dropped the wires only connection.

Our other PA is on managed routers but we are going to wire only but using our own routers.... Maybe i will think on if the routers are actually needed..

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!