Not recognizing standard ports like smtp. Instead showing as Not-Applicable and blocking

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Not recognizing standard ports like smtp. Instead showing as Not-Applicable and blocking

L1 Bithead
Having an issue with a PA-820 that isn't recognizing standard ports and instead flagging them as unknown and blocking them as Not-Applicable even though there is a policy with service ports specified allowing them through i.e. on-prem Exchange Server. It's blocking smtp on port 25 but allowing owa/ecp on ssl port 443 with no issues.
I can get the traffic to go through if I remove the service ports and instead use Application filtering and choose random applications that have the ports I need...like it knows port 25 is smtp-base because it's already in the application list and if I use that instead of service with protocol tcp port 25 it allows it through just fine.
I have a 3220 at another site that is setup this exact way, just using service ports instead of Apps with ZERO issues and it recognizes the traffic as smtp port and allows it through.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L1 Bithead

Found my issue and leaving this up in case it comes up in a search and their issue was the same. I was creating Service Ports and groups so quickly, that when I created the TCP-25 service I put port 25 in both the destination and source fields...so it would have only allowed traffic to port 25 if it was also originating from port 25.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

L1 Bithead

Found my issue and leaving this up in case it comes up in a search and their issue was the same. I was creating Service Ports and groups so quickly, that when I created the TCP-25 service I put port 25 in both the destination and source fields...so it would have only allowed traffic to port 25 if it was also originating from port 25.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!