PA-200 Slow browsing with url filtering

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA-200 Slow browsing with url filtering

L2 Linker

Hi,

a couple of questions on the matter:

- to get URL reports i need URL Filter on the rule to be on . Is this correct? Or can i have url reports without that enabled?

- with a PA200 with 1 computer connected, with URL fitler when i enter the website, it takes 4-5 seconds to show the page. without url filtering on the rule the page displays immediately. Is this normal? or there is a piece of configuration that i can change to speed this up.

The goal here is NOT to filter the websites but to have a report of websites visited per user or IP. Since the url do not get logged if i dont have the url filter on the rule, i need to fix the issue on the slowness. 

Again, these tests i made were with a 50Mbps connection and 1 single computer connected to the palo. 

thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

You need URL profile attached to the policy to see reports.

You can try to set all categories to "alert" in URL filtering profile.

By default all requests that are sent out from firewall (including URL category check) go out from management interface (can be changed).

Can your firewall management interface access internet?

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

Performance doesnt sound right. Should not have any user-noticeable delay.

Is it slow if you access the same site multiple times?

PAN maintains a local cache of sites, but has to go out to the PANDB (or BrightCloud) if it does not have a record. Accessing the site multiple times means it will be cached locally for categorization lookup and should have no noticeable performance hit... 

We also experience no impact for non-cached sites, but if this is your issue it could be any number of things, upstream from the PAN.

Sorry for the very late reply and thanks for your answers. I will give it shot.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!