PA-850 for a home lab

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA-850 for a home lab

L0 Member

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a PA-850 for my home lab but after doing some research I have some concerns.

I was planning on buying an 850 on eBay then getting the lab PAN-PA-850-BND-LAB4 through a VAR but I think I will have issues. Based on the article below and what I've researched, you can't simply convert a previously owned device registered to someone else to a lab device without going through a recertification process. That said, has anyone actually gone through this process of converting PA to a lab device? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/services/support/support-policies/secondary-market-policy

Thank you,

2 REPLIES 2

L1 Bithead

Hey There,

Something else to consider, even if you get it transferred across (which is doable), you will need to pay for the licensing in retrospect. This is a big risk when buying second hand PAN (and other vendor) hardware. You need to know if it is currently licensed. If it has lapsed, how long has it been for. I have a PA-220 I re-licensed, and had to pay an extra 2 years licensing on it.

Food for thought. Best of luck!

~Ronen

I didn't know that. Thank you for sharing. Since that's the case, I'm most likely going to purchase a new one because I don't want to risk getting hit with a massive license fee if the PA hasn't been used in years.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!