PA-VM guest ethernet1/x in VMWare Workstation can't communicate with the host OS or any other hosts

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA-VM guest ethernet1/x in VMWare Workstation can't communicate with the host OS or any other hosts

L1 Bithead

My topology is as follows.

Client (10.1.1.11) <--> (10.1.1.10) PA-VM (172.16.1.10) <--> (172.16.1.11) Server
                        ethernet1/1           ethernet1/2    

PA-VM-ESX-8.0.0.ova image was downloaded from PA support site and installed on VMware Workstation.
I was able to ssh and accessing web GUI via management interface. No issue with that.

However, when I configured other interfaces such as ethernet1/1, and ethernet1/2, I was not able to ping these interfaces. ARP entry on both host OS and PA-VM shows nothing. The only MAC address appear on host PC belong to PA-VM management interface only.

Initially, I thought this problem caused by VirtualBox as vmxnet3 only available on VMware Workstation. Then I decided to download VMware Workstation but still experiencing the same issue.

NIC config in VMware
NIC 1: Host-only (management)
NIC 2: Custom VMnet1
NIC 3: Custom VMnet2

show system info

admin@PA-VM> show system info

hostname: PA-VM
ip-address: 192.168.254.132 <-- management IP
netmask: 255.255.255.0
default-gateway:
ip-assignment: dhcp
mac-address: aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:01
family: vm
model: PA-VM

show interface all

admin@PA-VM> show interface all

total configured hardware interfaces: 2

name                    id    speed/duplex/state        mac address       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ethernet1/1             16    10000/full/up             aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:11
ethernet1/2             17    10000/full/up             aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:12

aggregation groups: 0

total configured logical interfaces: 2

name                id    vsys zone             forwarding               tag    address                                         
------------------- ----- ---- ---------------- ------------------------ ------ ------------------
ethernet1/1         16    1    INSIDE           vr:default               0      10.1.1.10/24      
ethernet1/2         17    1    OUTSIDE          vr:default               0      172.16.1.10/24    

admin@PA-VM>

Host PC ARP

Only PA mangement MAC address appear on Host PC

C:\>arp -a | findstr -i aa-aa-aa
  192.168.254.132       aa-aa-aa-aa-aa-01     dynamic

C:\>

Please let me know how to fix this issue.

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@prenatip,

I'd take a look at the VMX file and actually verify everything is setup correctly; you likely have an issue in that configuration. 

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!