PA_VM setup for PA3020 to PA3410 Upgrade

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA_VM setup for PA3020 to PA3410 Upgrade

L1 Bithead

Hello PA Community,

we are upgrading PA3020 to PA3410.

PA3020 is currently running with PANOS 9.1, new PA3410 will be with PANOS10.2.

I will import config file from PA3020-->PA_VM-->PA3410.

Question is

- which VM file should I download in PA portal (should be vm9.1x HyperV for VMware Esxi?)

- how to import  vm.vhdx file to VMware ESXi

- how can i find minimum requirement of VM resources

- I don't think I need temp/trial license for VM for config import/export

- is the above method the correct way to upgrade PA3020 to PA3410, or any other way?

thank you all. 

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@zinkt101,

Can I ask why your adding the VM step? Seems needlessly complex for a simple configuration migration. I'm assuming that you're doing it simply because a VM can run 9.1 and will allow you to walk up to 10.2, but that isn't really needed in this scenario. 

View solution in original post

L0 Member

@zinkt101,

You can do the upgrade the hardware and just import the XML from old to new hardware, do a review on the config at new firewall and commit. I did this type of migration/upgrade several times. You don't need a PA-VM in the middle of process.

Fabricio L. Castro

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@zinkt101,

Can I ask why your adding the VM step? Seems needlessly complex for a simple configuration migration. I'm assuming that you're doing it simply because a VM can run 9.1 and will allow you to walk up to 10.2, but that isn't really needed in this scenario. 

L0 Member

@zinkt101,

You can do the upgrade the hardware and just import the XML from old to new hardware, do a review on the config at new firewall and commit. I did this type of migration/upgrade several times. You don't need a PA-VM in the middle of process.

Fabricio L. Castro

@BPry 
thank you so much.

yeah. I thought I needed to upgrade my 9.1 version to 10.2 first, then import. 😄

thank you so much for your help.

@Fabricio_Castro 

thank you so much.

yeah. I thought I needed to upgrade my 9.1 version to 10.2 first, then import. 😄

I misunderstood.

thank you so much for your help.

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!