PA500 upgrade to PA460

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA500 upgrade to PA460

L0 Member

Hi Team,

I need to upgrade my PA500 to new box PA460. PANOS software matrix says there is no way you can upgrade PA500 to any version newer than 8.1 nor you can downgrade PA460 to anything older than 10.1 which makes the process a bit tricky for me.

The question is what's the best way to migrate my configuration? Is the config different between 8.1 and 10.1 so that can I just copy past "set" command version of config into the new 10.1 CLI? 

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

L5 Sessionator

Download virtual box and request a VM eval from your account team. Or have them ship you a 220, 820, etc. running 8.1. Import the 500 configuration into the 800/vm, upgrade that box's software (review the release notes and known issues each time please!) to 10.1. Migrate the surrogate configuration from the 800/vm to the 400 series box. EZ

Help the community! Add tags and mark solutions please.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@user109342 

I've had success of importing older PAN-OS version configs with newer PAN-OS versions (multiple major versions ahead).

I think the best way to test is to take a config from a PA-500 and spin up a VM running a newer version (or the latest version) of PAN-OS and import it in there. If it works, then it will work on the hardware too.

Regards

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@user109342,

As both other users have mentioned there's ways around this. You can either just spin-up a temporary VM and walk it through the upgrade procedure, or simply import the old configuration and correct any validation issues that you will run into. Generally speaking, older configurations will pull into newer operating systems fairly well as long as you aren't hilariously out of date. 

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!