Pan-Os Image for educational purpose

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Pan-Os Image for educational purpose

L0 Member

Hello,

I'm working on a graduation project about the Next Generation Firewall and would like to use the Pan-OS images. I registered on the Customer Support Portal but received an error and couldn't continue. It seems it won't be possible to download Pan-OS images if I'm not a customer but a student. Is this possible or do you have any free Pan-OS images that could be used for educational purposes only?

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Do you need to install it into own environment.

Maybe https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/resources/test-drives fit's your purpose.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

L0 Member

Thanks for reply, but it's not gonna be helpful for me. I need pan-os image to build a "test network" project in GNS3 software.
I need a firewall in project and i would like to use Pan-Os for this.
I want to install the PA-VM-KVM-10.1.0.qcow2
from https://www.gns3.com/marketplace/appliances/pa-vm
but I got redirected to https://support.paloaltonetworks.com/Error/Error

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@wiler121,

If you qualify for Azure or AWS educational credits, you can use that to spin up an appliance in any of the public clouds and build out a test network. The educational credits will probably cover you depending on how long you need to work on things as long as you spin them down when not actively in use.

There used to be a free 30-day trial that you could sign-up for, but it appears like that now just links to the demos and that program might not be active anymore (there where more than a few people that had issues getting access to it, so may have been a support burden). 

Past that if you absolutely need this to be GNS3 and you can't go the public cloud route for this project, just keep in mind that I absolutely would not recommend that you search for the file and validate via GNS3's correct MD5 hash to ensure it hasn't been tampered with. Nope that would be a terrible idea in a secured lab environment and wouldn't be recommended at all.

In all seriousness without licensing that image isn't going to give you much from a functionality and usability aspect. It's just going to give you a chance to mess around the interface. You'd be better suited going through the process of paying for a LAB VM perpetual bundle through a VAR. 

L0 Member

@wiler121 wrote:

Hello,

I'm working on a graduation project about the Next Generation Firewall and would like to use the Pan-OS images. I registered on the Customer Support Portal but received an error and couldn't continue. It seems it won't be possible to download Pan-OS images if I'm not a customer but a student. Is this possible or do you have any free Pan-OS images that could be used for educational purposes only?

Have you tried contacting Palo Alto Networks directly to ask about the educational programs or resources they can offer to students working on projects like yours? Have you also explored virtual lab environments or online platforms that provide simulated firewall environments for educational purposes?

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!