PAN-SA-2018-0015

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PAN-SA-2018-0015

L0 Member

Hi guys,

Just saw the notice about PAN-SA-2018-0015. Doesn't seem like this vulnerability is a real issue. Am I correct? Or is there a viable way of someone exploiting it?

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

In theory CVE-2018-0732 seems to be "easy" to use for a DoS attack against the firewall. I am not sure if openssl is used the same way as when the firewall initiates connections itself (updates, EDLs, ...), but if you disable DHE in the decryption profile you are probably safe. The other two aren't even medium criticality in my opinion. If I understood correctly for one you have to import a cert from an untrusted source and if someone is able to exploit 0739 then you have a much bigger problem than the possibility the attacker can regenerate a private key.

A customer recently upgraded to 8.0.14 to address this vulnerability. However after the upgrade, they noticed that 

SAML authentication for the Global Protect VPN client and the portal failed. The error in the log was 
and ( description contains 'Failure while validating the signature of SAML message received from the IdP "https://accounts.google.com/o/saml2?idpid=C00wscql4", because the certificate in the SAML Message doesn\'t match the IDP certificate configured on the IdP Server Profile "Google Apps IDP". (SP: "Global Protect"), (Client IP: 86.195.94.158), (vsys: vsys1), (authd id: 6627430890471424002)' )

When reverting to version 8.0.7, all works again. This would suggest a bug in 8.0.14. 

Is there a workaround for this vulnerability so that my customer doesn't have to worry about the SAML auth issue and remain on their current 8.0.7 code? Any suggestions much appreciated.

KK
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!