Panorama - deleting part of a template?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Panorama - deleting part of a template?

L4 Transporter

When i import my HA pair of firewalls into Panorama (9.1.3), the resulting template includes values for HA config. I would like to leave HA config up to the gateways themselves and not include it as part of the template.  How would i delete that part of the template? If i set values to their defaults, that part of the config still exists in the template as default values. I want to remove it.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L3 Networker

Something PANW don't explain very well - setting a value to the default in a template doesn't necessarily remove it from the template, it simply sets the value to what you've told it. Most template settings allow you to 'clear' a value by hitting the green X (it indicates you have intentionally set a value and allows you to clear it to 'default'). For on/off settings they basically have 3 states - on, off or not configured. So just clear the values in the template and make sure they are set on the managed device.

If the managed device is already using template values (i.e. you hit "force template values" and the settings are depicted by a green cog on the device itself), you need to add local overrides with your intended values before you clear them from the template, otherwise you may lose the configuration. Ensure they are either configured locally (no green cog) or locally overridden (yellow over green cog) before you remove the template values.

I think this should be the default approach for both HA and management - that way you can share a template across an HA cluster without variables.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L3 Networker

Something PANW don't explain very well - setting a value to the default in a template doesn't necessarily remove it from the template, it simply sets the value to what you've told it. Most template settings allow you to 'clear' a value by hitting the green X (it indicates you have intentionally set a value and allows you to clear it to 'default'). For on/off settings they basically have 3 states - on, off or not configured. So just clear the values in the template and make sure they are set on the managed device.

If the managed device is already using template values (i.e. you hit "force template values" and the settings are depicted by a green cog on the device itself), you need to add local overrides with your intended values before you clear them from the template, otherwise you may lose the configuration. Ensure they are either configured locally (no green cog) or locally overridden (yellow over green cog) before you remove the template values.

I think this should be the default approach for both HA and management - that way you can share a template across an HA cluster without variables.

Thanks for that.  I see i can click on the 'green cog' next to a setting in a Panorama template. This makes the green cog disappear - which means Panorama wont push a value for that particular field.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!