PANOS 9.0 root partition fill in PA 3000 models

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PANOS 9.0 root partition fill in PA 3000 models

Hi Community,

We are able to upgrade to PANOS 9.0 from any maintenance version of 8.1. 

Once we install Base version 9.0.0 and maintenance version 9.0.X root partition is getting filled upto 93 to 95%.

Let say firewall is running in 9.0.6, If we want to upgrade to 9.0.8 we are unable to proceed because the root partition is full and software manager is not able to download the PANOS maintenance image file.

Palo alto recommends not to delete the base version 9.0.0 while upgrading to any maintenance version so how could we proceed if we want to upgrade to maintenance version. 

Regards

Venky

4 REPLIES 4

L4 Transporter

Hi

The short answer is that you'll have to free up some space in the root (/) partition.

There are separate partitions for logs, cfg, repo, etc but the root partition holds all the temporary stuff like software version package being downloaded and extracted, packet captures and dataplane-debug files, tech support files, etc, so if it is full you'll not be able upgrade.

FYI, the downloaded OS version are stored in /opt/panrepo - not the root partition. Use this command 'show system disk-space' and also take a look at this:

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClimCAC

Hope this helps,

Shai

Even I free up I can able to free up only 100MB which is like 2 to 3% so resulting root space is 89% and available root space is around 300MB, most the maintenance version are having 400 plus MB file which is not getting installed in root as the partition is already about to fill and it not having sufficient space to install firmware.

I have tried this article already it is not helping anyway.

Regards

Hi

There are some lesser known files in there (/) that could take up some space, for example if a debug flow-basic was taken and not cleared. Also the Daily reports (Monitor->Reports) sit there and accumulate over time.

Also, if you can open a ticket to support they can log in with root access and clear up some root access files.

Shai

L1 Bithead

When support logs in with Root Access, does the network stop passing traffic through the Firewall?  Asking because I need to know whether to schedule a maintenance window or if I can do this during production.    

This is not a signature.
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!