cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

"icloud-base" excessive hits on firewall

L0 Member

Hi there,

I have a question in regards to iCloud (application = icloud-base) and I was hoping someone could shed some light on or point me in the righht direction.

I have a source address which is showing in the URL Logs as blocked due to our restriction on 'online-storage-and-backup'. normally I could see a source IP hitting this about 10,000 per hour if iCloud has not been disabled on the endpoint (OSX Desktop), however I have one user who is hitting this rule around 110,000 times per hour and I can't figure out why.

We've logged out of iCloud on that machine and now the traffic has stopped, but I'd still like to figure out why it was so exxcessive in this case.

The various destinations seem standard such as (but not limited to):

setup.icloud.com

keyvalueservice.icloud.com

p18-ckdatabase.icloud.com

p18-availability.icloud.com

p18-quota.icloud.com

Thanks in advance for your time and help

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Jason.Hill,

Apple recently made some changes to the OS that allows you to sync all of the items on your desktop and document folder through iCloud. Could it be that this is enabled, it might explain why you are seeing that many hits. You could try disabling just that section and see if that lowers it to what you would normally be seeing. 

https://www.imore.com/how-save-your-desktop-and-documents-folder-icloud-drive-macos-sierra

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!