Reason to upgrade to 4.0.2 ? ! ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Reason to upgrade to 4.0.2 ? ! ?

Not applicable

Just recently upgraded to 3.1.8

Like others here, wondering the REAL advantages of upgrading to 4.0.2

I don't want to run into the issues missed by QA in version 4.0.1 that I have seen here

• management console not working via https
  • Qos issues
  • IPSEC Tunnels not working

would like everyone's feedback

Those who have upgraded for a specific feature set

Thos who haven't or have reverted back to 3.1X release due to issues

17 REPLIES 17

I guess it all depends on your definition of stable, I now have a 80k dollar pair of firewalls that I can't do packet captures from nor can I update my policy from... They may be a platform specific problem on the 5000 series but I know for a fact they are running 4.0.2!

rnitz wrote:

I'd like to address some of the issues without addressing all of the individual issues.

There are two reasons to upgrade to a new major release:

1) New features that have been added.

2) Fixes that will not be back-ported to the previous release. Depending on the code changes, not all fixes can be back-ported.

Thanks for replying, but, respectfully, it doesn't really address the situation that I'm in, and that I suspect some other Palo Alto customers are in.

• I don't specifically need any new features in 4.x right now.
  • I don't have any issues with 3.x that won't be fixed that might force me to upgrade to 4.x to get them fixed.

So do Palo Alto recommend I run 3.1.x or 4.x?

We have some other firewalls from another vendor and if I visit their support website they have a very clear "Recommended Version" section for each device, presumably based on support & stability - it would be fantastic if Palo Alto did the same.

Which version would a Palo Alto device rolling off the production line today ship with?

• I don't specifically need any new features in 4.x right now.
  • I don't have any issues with 3.x that won't be fixed that might force me to upgrade to 4.x to get them fixed.
  • Per the recommendations above it sounds like you should stay on 3.1.x.

Cheers,

Kelly

• 17 replies
    • 0 Likes
    Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!