Set VM-100 as gateway on host.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Set VM-100 as gateway on host.

L4 Transporter

So I am wondering if there is any way to use the VMWare workstation (I know the VM-100 is for ESXi) as the gateway on your host and if anyone has had success with just monitoring EAST-WEST traffic from the VM-100 on ESXi?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L3 Networker

Unfortunately, this is not possible due to VMWare workstation limitations (trust me, I tried so very hard to make this work). There is already a hard limit of 9 interfaces on the VM series of firewalls because that is all that VMWare can handle. The VM100 image has two NICs on it, and one is meant for the management interface, and the other one is assigned to Eth1/1; you could try adding as many interfaces as you'd like to the image, but you are still limited by VMWare's networking options (bridged, NAT, or host-only network). Finally, there is no way to set the Virtual Machine as your gateway, as you are its gateway.

I hope that this has thoroughly answered your question. Please mark is as answered so that I may also get mission points. Smiley Wink

Alex

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

L3 Networker

Unfortunately, this is not possible due to VMWare workstation limitations (trust me, I tried so very hard to make this work). There is already a hard limit of 9 interfaces on the VM series of firewalls because that is all that VMWare can handle. The VM100 image has two NICs on it, and one is meant for the management interface, and the other one is assigned to Eth1/1; you could try adding as many interfaces as you'd like to the image, but you are still limited by VMWare's networking options (bridged, NAT, or host-only network). Finally, there is no way to set the Virtual Machine as your gateway, as you are its gateway.

I hope that this has thoroughly answered your question. Please mark is as answered so that I may also get mission points. Smiley Wink

Alex

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!