Setup a HomeLab to test PAN VM Firewall

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Setup a HomeLab to test PAN VM Firewall

L4 Transporter

Hello,

For those who runs the VM Firewall in your home test  lab enivronment,  can you share your choice of hypervisor, also your current detail hardware spec?    I am interested to setup a home lab ESXi server for testing PAN firewall and other projects as well.   But looking for hardware to support SR-IOV and DPDK seems to be very expensive.    If this is for lab testing or to use it to replace the home firewall (PA200), do I really need SR-IOV and DPDK?

Thanks,

E

3 REPLIES 3

L3 Networker

SR-IO and DPDK  only increases througput,  no more no less

So it depends on your homelab requirements. 

Do you want more than 600Mb Threat prevention throughput, you need SR-IO and DPDK  and a  vm100 or higher license

@Gertjan-HFG   Let say I want to have a PA200 experience.  If I have a VM50 license.  What hardware do you need  ( I am aware of I need 4.5GB of RAM minimum, 60+GB Disk space ),

For PA200 performance with a VM-50 you don't need SR-IO and PCI passthrough

Speeds below are only valid for PAN-OS 8 

vm-specs.PNG

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!