Simulate SIP Traffic in Lab

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Simulate SIP Traffic in Lab

L1 Bithead

Hello Everyone, 

Like most on this form, I believe I am having issues with SIP, which is causing some soft phones to reset. I have started gathering a list of possible fixes that have been posted by the community and Palo Alto. I want to try these fixes in a lab environment so I do not cause any issues in production. 

Does anyone know if a way to simulate SIP traffic? I have been using Solar Winds WAN killer to sent traffic over UDP port 5060, and that works, but is not picked up as SIP via Palo Alto's App-ID. 

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

The way I used to test this was to put the LAB PAN between my workstation and the rest of the network. Not ideal but it was live data. Not sure it will work in every network due to design, etc.

Regards,

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@JasonMcNulty,

Due to app-id you really need to be passing real traffic. It would be pretty quick to spin up a quick Asterisk instance and use a soft client to actually generate real SIP traffic for testing purposes to work with however. That would really be my recommendation, so you are actually working with real SIP traffic and can see if you've truly fixed the issue. 

Thank you for the replies, I'm going to install Asterisk is my lab to see it is will match the App-ID of SIP. If so, then I'm going to create a custom application to perform an application override as detailed below.

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClouCAC

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!