software update for PA-820 without support contract

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

software update for PA-820 without support contract

L1 Bithead

hello all,

my organization has a PA-820 at a branch location that's been a little neglected. it doesn't have a support contract and it's currently running panos 9.0. I would like to upgrade this at the very least to 9.1, but I'm having difficulty locating the image online to do the upgrade manually. anyone have a link to the software repositories, or other suggestions for how to get this thing upgraded?

it's the only 820 in the org so FTPing an image from another firewall wouldn't be an option. 

You cant believe everything you see on the internet- Benjamin Franklin
1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

What you have said is still true. You are able to import software versions, and content updates, to firewalls with no active subs on them. I have an unlicensed device running in my homelab currently. 

We don't supply you the software or content packs without payment. If you are able to acquire them elsewhere, then they will still function appropriately with manual install. 

Help the community! Add tags and mark solutions please.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @S_Hiebert ,

Online images are on the support portal under Updates > Software Updates.  Is "PAN-OS for the PA-800 Platform" available in the drop down?

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

unfortunately it is not. the list jumps from 5200 straight to the vm series. 

L5 Sessionator

Without a valid support contract, you won't be able to access software images for the 820 either on the device or within the portal. Indeed, if no other 820s exist within the org, that won't be something you'll be able to access through official means. 

if that is the case this is an extreme form of false advertising on the part of PA. I have gone through several PA sanctioned training programs in the past couple months that have all stated that updates are available and can be installed without a support contract, the only requirement is that you must do so by manually importing the image. 

What you have said is still true. You are able to import software versions, and content updates, to firewalls with no active subs on them. I have an unlicensed device running in my homelab currently. 

We don't supply you the software or content packs without payment. If you are able to acquire them elsewhere, then they will still function appropriately with manual install. 

L1 Bithead

I suppose it's better than some other vendors that will even brick the devices after support runs out, but if you're going to state that updates are still "able to be installed" it's misleading and frankly counter-productive to expect customers to get the images from a disreputable source. 

I understand. Perhaps not a disreputable source, ask a friend/user from another company with 820s, or your account team / partner provider. No guarantees across the board, but, you don't have to scour dark corners of the internet. 

Still able to be installed, is technically correct phrasing. What do you perceive to be more accurate? Say that it is possible, but sourcing images is burden carried by device owner?

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!