Speed Test through Palo Alto pair

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Speed Test through Palo Alto pair

L2 Linker

Hello group,

We are in the process to set up and replace the current firewall with PA-4020 pairs . During pre-test, one thing came up. Using several Speed Test sites, the results are not what we expected, particularly the UPLOAD speeds are far off .

It is a big HELP if the group let us know what are your Speed Test results comparing to the expected.

Our set up is L3 ports with everything in AUTO with almost no rules for now, no User ID agents,

Thanks in advance.

Leo Le

7 REPLIES 7

L2 Linker

Hello group,

Thought you would like to know.

After further testing, we would like to clarify about the speed issue. Only the PA with ports set in VWire and it sat behind another firewall .

The speed tests performed in front and behind one of our Production PA pairs showed that no performance degradation at all

The Palo Alto support already took a look into this issue. Case number 00012949.

Leo Le

So when running the PAN in VWire there were a speed degradation but not when running in L3 mode?

How were you doing the speed tests?  What about results for the L3 configuration?

Could you clarify us how you resolved the issue?

Thanks

I'd like to add a "me too" to this conversation.

We have a 4020 (not an HA pair, just a single) sitting behind a firewall pair (from another vendor) at our Internet gateway.

Today, for about eight hours, we had issues with slow uploads, or total upload blocks, to those Internet speed test sites.  "Normal" traffic seemed OK.  At about 2pm (local), everything got magically better.

I figured it was just a fluke.

What was the root cause for this?

MJ

@markjx:

Hi! Which speedtest sites did you try?

Did you have problem only with speedtest site or even with normal HTTP traffic (upload/download)?

Thanks for your answer.

It was actually my co-worker, so I'm not sure exactly which URL's he went to.  I do know that regular HTTP traffic seemed OK.

And, the "upload" speed reported by the two (or three?) site he went to wasn't just slow.  It was actually zero.

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!