SSL VPN and iPhone OS 4.0

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL VPN and iPhone OS 4.0

L4 Transporter

I was looking at the new specs for the 4.0 code of the iPhone OS, and saw that they were opening up the SSL VPN function to Juniper and Cisco.

Any chance Palo Alto is working on a NetConnect app for the iPhone?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/preview-iphone-os/

58 REPLIES 58

Yeap i know that, we have already enable active sync for mail.

But as a big company we have a lot of needs such as CRM, telnet, SQL support from remote user, and last telnet and SSH. Most of them by IT department of course. And I can’t imagine to configure a switch from an iphone but from my iPAD i love to.

Just an update....

The following enterprise firewall vendors now have SSL VPN Solutions on the app store:

Checkpoint Mobile - Checkpoint

FortiMobile - Fortinet

Junos Pulse - Juniper

In addition - Cisco have 'Cisco Anyconnect' which I don't think is SSL VPN - but it's an application which makes VPN'ing from iphones easier than the standard iphone IPSEC support.

All the above apps are provided FREE - these four guys are the main competitors to PA we come up against again and again.

We are trying to sell PA firewalls, we do very well showing geeks the GUI - and what they can manage when at work. This always goes down extremely well. However, the inability of being able to manage any network infrastructure via iphone / ipad is a massive turn off - invariably when they need to get to the unit, they are not at work as it's an emergency etc.

Not much point having a great GUI - if you can't get to it when you are out and about.

It's very hard selling something to a CIO when his geeks are negative about it...

I really, really hope PA get this addressed soon as it's become a major barrier to sales now - the 'no plans' message is the real killer, because it offers the potential customer no hope at all.....

Jeff

The need for SSL VPN support for Android, Windows 7 and Apple iOS 4 is exploding.  6 months ago we began to transition away from Nortel Contivity to NetConnect.  Now there is a push to move from laptops to Pads or Tablet devices and vendors like Citrix are supporting any device with Virtual Applications and Desktops, but they still need a way into the corporate network.  Knowing when or if support for these devices is in the development plan would be helpful.  Saying not possible yet, has been my standard answer, but the soon we may need to start evaluating other remote access solutions.

Hi George,

Current status is that we are investigating a solution for this.  Earliest possible availability is 2nd half of this year, but there are still some open questions on the timing.  If you can hold off for another 4-6 weeks, we should have a better status update for you then.

Thanks,

Lee

I am very interested in this as well.  We just got two 2050's in and are starting the process of migrating from Check Point.  Discussions with Palo Alto while we were investigating the product led us to believe that these platforms were supported.  Obviously that's not the case.  Anyway, a solution for the iOS and Android platforms would be greatly appreciated...

Hi Lee,

as far as I see the 4.0 doesn't have any iPhone or mobile support in Global Protect/Net Connect.

Is it in roadmap? The other competitor already have mobile and apple mobile support...

Thanks so much

You are correct.  PAN-OS 4.0 does not have additional support for mobile devices, such as Apple iOS or Android-based phones/tablets.  Here is a link to a related thread:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/message/5069#5069

The answer I provided in that thread has not yet changed.  We are investigating the possibility of adding this to our release targeted for the second half of 2010, but we are still validating some key assumptions.  I should have a better idea in a few weeks.

Thanks,

Lee

Not applicable

Any news about iOS support?

Have we any Start Project  day?

Count us in on this.  This is definitely needed for any major mobile devices.  I use the iPad and iPhone, but definitely needs to be available for Andriod and Win7 Phone to.

As far as I'm concerned, this is something that needs to be addressed and communicated often to customers about what the status is.

L0 Member

Agreed this is required functionality to have as we are moving forward full throttle with  iOS/Android devices both company owned and personal that will need to be able to connect in remotely.

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!