Strange DNS issue for users

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Strange DNS issue for users

L3 Networker

Hi All,

Any idea on this one?

I have some wireless testing underway which seemed to be going without issue. All of a sudden, any browsing to .co.uk domains stopped working, followed by .com domains failing as well. A short while ago, .co.uk domains started working again but sporadically. If I change the rule permitting the dns traffic from either application dns or service udp 53 to anything for application default the issue resolves itself. Logs show the dns requests passing through the firewall without issue.

Has anyone seen this before?

Regards

Adrian

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@a.jones,

Insure that you have logging enabled on the interzone-default policy so that you are getting the denied traffic. The way you describe the issue something is getting dropped and the likely cause of that is the security rulebase itself. You might also want to look at your threat logs to ensure the DNS requests aren't being dropped due to a threat identification. 

I agree with BPry please check the threat logs you will find the answer there.

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Also check the traffic logs there might be some traffic blocked when you use the application default

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!