Two Static Route - same destination, Same metric

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

L4 Transporter

Hello, good afternoon, thank you very much for your time, collaboration, time and suggestions.

Thinking in an environment where you have two routes to the same segment, example a pair of static routes through the Switch Core to LAN resources or two routes to the same destination, by two tunnels interfaces of a pair of VPN Site to Site to Azure.

According to the above, if I indicate the same route, to the same destination, with the same metric, but different interfaces, Palo Alto will generate an error when placing a route, to the same destination with the same metric ? Demanding to adjust the metric values or asking to enable ECMP ? And if it does not generate an error, in this case, which route will be used if both have the same metric ? which one goes from the RIB to the FIB ?

Thank you for your support, collaboration and time.

I remain attentive to your comments.

Best regards

High Sticker
1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

I would recommend to use either Policy Based Forwarding for one of the routes with the static route being the method of last resort. Or you can weigh one of the routes. I have seen a lot of routing errors and connection failures due to asymmetric routing. I have been using OSPF for a long time and always add metrics to one of the paths. This way I know how the traffic is routed at all times and if there is monitoring, ie Solarwinds, I know which link went down based on the IP's I give the ends of the short hops, etc.

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

I would recommend to use either Policy Based Forwarding for one of the routes with the static route being the method of last resort. Or you can weigh one of the routes. I have seen a lot of routing errors and connection failures due to asymmetric routing. I have been using OSPF for a long time and always add metrics to one of the paths. This way I know how the traffic is routed at all times and if there is monitoring, ie Solarwinds, I know which link went down based on the IP's I give the ends of the short hops, etc.

Regards,

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Please check out my reply to this post to see if it helps.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/general-topics/multi-site-dual-isp-with-redundant-vpn-connectio...

Regards,

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!