Upgrade to PANOS 7.1

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Upgrade to PANOS 7.1

L1 Bithead

I'm looking at getting a Palo Alto used.  A lot of the units are pan os 4, 5 or 6.  For a PA-500, for example, can I get a 5.x OS and upgrade it to 7.1?  Does this require a support contract to upgrade it?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

@RustyPA There's a certification process for secondary-market purchases as well, it's explained in detail here:

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/services/support/support-policies/secondary-market-policy

@yasirirfan A device without a support licence will not install new PAN-OS software, so the support license is indeed needed to upgrade PAN-OS. The support license is not needed to upgrade the app-only content. Apps + threats needs a threat license to install the updates.

@RyanZartman You can download PAN-OS from the support portal, but the device must first have a verified support license. Without the license, the upgrade will fail with a support license error.

Cheers,

Greg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

L1 Bithead

Hi RustyPA

In order to downlaod the PAN-OS one should have an access to Palo Alto Support portal. As far as I remember you can register yourself using the serial number of the PA-500 you have. Once you register you are allowed to download PAN-OS for the hardware platform you have. 

Support contract is needed when you seek Palo Alto TAC team support , so technically its not mandatory to have a support contact to download the PAN-OS. 

Cheers

Yasir

L7 Applicator

@RustyPA There's a certification process for secondary-market purchases as well, it's explained in detail here:

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/services/support/support-policies/secondary-market-policy

@yasirirfan A device without a support licence will not install new PAN-OS software, so the support license is indeed needed to upgrade PAN-OS. The support license is not needed to upgrade the app-only content. Apps + threats needs a threat license to install the updates.

@RyanZartman You can download PAN-OS from the support portal, but the device must first have a verified support license. Without the license, the upgrade will fail with a support license error.

Cheers,

Greg

Halo,

Please read below.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/Is-it-possible-to-upgrade-PAN-OS-without-a-...

Yes, it is possible to upgrade device without a support licences.

Cheers 

L1 Bithead

I am using PA3050 need to upgrade from  6.1.9 to 7.1.21

I just need to know the OS version path for upgrade.

Also if any case if i need to backout the change to original 6.1.9 from 7.1.21 whats the OS path I should follow.

@kiranmungikar

6.1.9 -> Download and install 6.1.19

6.1.19 -> Download and install 7.0.1 

7.0.1 -> Download and install 7.0.19

7.0.19 -> Download and install 7.1.0

7.1.0 -> Download and install 7.1.21

You won't have any easy downgrade path due to the number of versions you are upgrading through. 7.1.21 is very proven and stable at this point; if you run into issues I would recommend working through them instead of attempting to downgrade the firewall multiple major versions like that. 

I am using PA-200 upgrading to 7.0.1 from 6.1.22

Getting following error message when i try to install 7.0.1

Failed to install PanOS_200-7.0.1 with the following errors SW version 7.0.1

Error: upgrading from 6.1.22 to 7.0.1 requires a content version of 497 or greater and found 494-2664. failed to install version 7.0.1

Please assist

Hello,

you need to update your app version, go to Device > Dynamic updates. Its on Applications and threats

Error: Upgrading from 7.0.1 to 7.1.0 requires a content version of 564 or gre
ater and found 497-2688

The minimun would be 564.

I installed 599-3443 and did the job.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!