URL filtering in PAN-OS5

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

URL filtering in PAN-OS5

L2 Linker

Is there any information on this anywhere (ie the new PAN database, not Brightcloud)

Is there a list of  categories, and how do they map onto the Brightcloud categories?

How can I lookup what category a URL is in, and request a change if required?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

Hello,

We should have a FAQ posted soon, but for detailed information, please contact your SE or account rep.  In the meantime, you can find a list of PAN-DB categories and their descriptions here:

urlfiltering.paloaltonetworks.com/CategoryList.aspx

For BrightCloud to PAN-DB category mapping:

BrightCloud to PAN-DB Category Mapping

To test a URL and submit a change request:

urlfiltering.paloaltonetworks.com/testASite.aspx

Thanks,

Doris

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L5 Sessionator

Hello,

We should have a FAQ posted soon, but for detailed information, please contact your SE or account rep.  In the meantime, you can find a list of PAN-DB categories and their descriptions here:

urlfiltering.paloaltonetworks.com/CategoryList.aspx

For BrightCloud to PAN-DB category mapping:

BrightCloud to PAN-DB Category Mapping

To test a URL and submit a change request:

urlfiltering.paloaltonetworks.com/testASite.aspx

Thanks,

Doris

Thanks Doris.

There's fewer categories in PAN's database (59 vs 73 for Brightcloud).  Mostly this is because Brightcloud have multiple categories for Malware and IT, but the one that jumps out is "Cult and Occult" for which there is no equivalent in PAN's database. 

We have this category blocked, I suspect many other educational implementations also have it blocked and we can't just block the "Religion" category.  (I'd also note that Fortinet and Websense both have equivalent categories).  Example URL: churchofsatan.com - philosophically one might argue that all religions are cults by definition, but school boards tend not to see it that way Smiley Wink.  Needs to be addressed before we could even consider migrating from Brightcloud to PAN (which I assume is what you want everyone to do eventually).

What would be interresting, now when PA have their own db, is the possibility of sub-categories?

For example now when adware is being bundled together with other types of malware.

I mean its not bad to completely block category malware, but what if you just want to block adware/ads and nothing more?

I think the situation is similar to if you wish to block one kind of ocult (searchofsatan.com) but not the other kind of ocult (the vatikan homepage or whatever 🙂

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!