Use PA-500 ports as additional access ports (switch ports)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Use PA-500 ports as additional access ports (switch ports)

L0 Member

I was hoping to get some direction.  I have deployed a PA500 in a small office using a standard L3 deployment (one trusted (LAN) and one untrusted (WAN) interface) and need a few switch-ports on the LAN side for access points.  Is it possible to add additional interfaces to the trusted zone and use them as switch ports in the same subnet and virtual router as my current L3 trusted interface?

I found the document in the KB explaining how to connect L2 and L3 networks but I don't think that is what I need to do.

I really don't want to put a cheap 8-port switch in front of my nice firewall 🙂

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

You can create a vlan group for this purpose and replace your current L3 interface with a vlan interface.

• On the desired interfaces set them to L2 type
    under Networks->interfaces->Ethernet
  • Create a vlan "inside" and put all the L2 interfaces into that vlan
    under Networks->VLANS
  • Remove your L3 interface
  • Create a VLAN interface and place into the trust zone and your L3 ip address.  Add the new vlan to this interface
    under Networks->Interfaces->VLANS
Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

You can create a vlan group for this purpose and replace your current L3 interface with a vlan interface.

• On the desired interfaces set them to L2 type
    under Networks->interfaces->Ethernet
  • Create a vlan "inside" and put all the L2 interfaces into that vlan
    under Networks->VLANS
  • Remove your L3 interface
  • Create a VLAN interface and place into the trust zone and your L3 ip address.  Add the new vlan to this interface
    under Networks->Interfaces->VLANS
Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

Hello Adam,

Here I have taken Example for  Ethernet1/9 as a port to be in VLAN1.

1. Delete Configuration for L3 Ethernet Port.

2. Create L3 VLAN, as mentioned bellow.

L3.png

2. Change Etherenet 1/9 into Layer 2 Port.

Change to L2 Port.png

3. Add Etherenet 1/9 into VLAN

Add_Ports_L3.png

Likewise you can add more ports to same VLAN.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!