User-ID Agent 3.0.x on Windows Server 2008?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

User-ID Agent 3.0.x on Windows Server 2008?

Not applicable

I've heard that the User-ID Agent 3.0.2 should be supported on Windows Server 2008 and 2008-R2, but my attempts have failed on both platforms. In both cases, I am using a domain-admin account to install the .MSI package but getting an error at then end when it tries to install the service. All files appear to have installed correctly.

When I drop to a command line, change to the installation directory and run "PanAgentService.exe -i",  I get the same ultra-brief message box stating "Error installing service" with only an OK button to proceed.

Are there any functional installations of User-ID Agent 3.0.2 out there on Server 2008 / 2008-R2 platforms? Anything unusual to make it work?

EDIT: More detail on the servers I've tested:

Host A & B: Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2 64-bit

Host C: Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

6 REPLIES 6

L5 Sessionator

User-ID Agent 3.0.2 does support Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 and there are many customers successfully running it on both platforms. We're also running on both in our lab environment.  Please contact Support so that they can work with you to resolve the issues you're encountering.

Not applicable

Worked with support on this one and found that the Windows user account I was installing with fell short on permissions somehow. Even though this account was in the Domain Administrators group, it was not permitted to install the service on the domain controller.

After logging in as the actual Administrator account for our domain, I was able to install and run the service without any errors.

Hi,

We've got three agent installed. One of them in a Windows Server 2003 and two over two servers with Windows 2008.

In W2003 it looks like the agent was properly working, though we're receiving in the logs some messages like "Cannot open security log, domain(xx.xx.xx.xx) - Access is denied. [...] Read security log returns -1!security log". Our partner has a case open with support about this problem. In this case, when I run the command "PanAgentService.exe -i", I get the message "PanAgent service succeeded".

We're having some problems with W2008 too. These machines aren't DC, but they are machines in the domain. We're running the service with an special user, which has rights to read the security log, and the program has been installed with an user who has permissions of Administrator in the machine. Nevertheless, when I connect to this machine, with another user with administrator permissions in the machine, I get the message that the service is not running in the PanAgentController. We've seen that this message doesn't happen if we configure this program to "run as administrator". In this case (W2008), when I run the command "PanAgentService.exe -i", I get an error message, "Error Installing Service".

May it be possible to get a list of the special rights that users should get related to the agent?

- the user who install the PANAgent in the machine (if this machine isn't a DC)

- the user who runs the service (PanAgenService.exe)

- a user who access to the machine where the service is installed, to execute the "PanAgentController" and configure the PANAgent

Regards,

Hello,

User rights for the PAN Agent are as follows:

the user who installs the PANAgent in the machine (if this machine isn't a DC)  - This function requires Local Admin rights

- the user who runs the service (PanAgenService.exe) - This function requires Domain Admin rights.

- a user who access to the machine where the service is installed, to execute the "PanAgentController" and configure the PANAgent

- Any user access level can perform this function.

L0 Member

I have the same problem.  Although, i was able to install on two previous Server 2008 installs, both domain controllers.

Error starting the service and doesnt list in service list.

L3 Networker

I installed this on a VM running Server 2008.  You must be logged in locally for the service to be able to start during the install.  Once installation is complete, go into the services console and find the PanAgentService, right click, select properties, and go to the 'log on' tab.  Then select the 'This account:' button and enter the logon credentials for an account that has access to the Domain Controller.

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!