User-id not updating mappings fast enough

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

User-id not updating mappings fast enough

L4 Transporter

We have 2 user-agents deployed that read the AD logs and the PA7050's connect to the user-agents. The agents are running 6.0.7-10 and the PA7050's running 6.1.4.

We are having a problem where mulitple machines across various networks are using a "generic" login account. We have policies in place on the PA7050's that are enforced on these macihines through user-id. This works fine until an admin logs into one of these machines or runs an application as an admin on the machine. This over-writes the user-id mapping by design. The issue however comes when the admin logs out and then logs back in as the generic account, the user-id mappings are not being updated fast enough or at all it seems, which then leaves that machine to bypass the enforcment policies.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks

**I have thought of using the ignore-list for the admin login's, however this would be a few 100 names and could change monthly which is not really scable to daily operations.

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Not sure if its acceptable in your environemnt, but perhaps wmi probing could be used? Just be careful of where you have it enabled:

User-id Best practices:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Learning-Articles/Best-Practices-for-Securing-User-ID-Deploymen...

Security impact of wmi probing

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Learning-Articles/Customer-advisory-Security-Impact-of-User-ID-...

Or maybe Captive portal, although I must admit I think it would be for all users.

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/61/pan-os/pan-os/user-id/map-ip-addresses-to-user-nam...

L6 Presenter

Maybe I'm mistaken, but in the user-agent config,the "Security Log Monitor Fequency (sec.)" setting should take care of this for you.

The login / run-as from the admin, log-off and subsequent login as a normal user should be recorded within this setting.  In our enviornment this is set as 3 seconds.  So unless I'm not understanding this correctly our enviornment would have this updated in 3 seconds or so, and would also take care of your issue as well.

Global Protect in internal mode or wifi/nac logs are the only options. Anything else is just noise.

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!