Using URL Override with Data Filtering to block .exe's?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Using URL Override with Data Filtering to block .exe's?

L4 Transporter

On our PA (running 3.1.5) is it possible to use the “override” URL filtering function, in conjunction with data filtering so that someone could browse sites in the “Software” category, but if they tried to download a file (exe/msi/zip etc.) from a site in that category it would prompt them to enter the override password?

If so how robust is it with things like sourceforge where there's a lot of browser redirection going on?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

L3 Networker

We are working on something that is similar to what you describe below, where you will be able to set an action of "continue" per file type.  Where this feature will be different than you outline below is that it won't be per URL category and it won't require a password, just a user to click "continue". 

Thanks,

Lee

Thanks Lee, so I guess in the meantime there aren't any options I'm not thinking of that are somewhere between using the "Override" option on an entire URL category, or just blocking exe/msi files?

We want to block normal users from downloading shareware and freeware, but we want to (ideally) allow it via an override code as that can be entered quickly and easily via our Help Desk whilst most of the other options I can see would need someone to enable/disable something on the Palo Alto every time someone called.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!