Very Slow Commits

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Very Slow Commits

L4 Transporter

Anyone who's used Palo's since the early days may roll their eyes at this question..!

We have a bunch of 3020's and one can take an age to perform commits; for example this morning we performed 4 - the first 2 took <30 seconds, the 3rd took >10 minutes, the 4th took >30 seconds.

The only aspect to the 3rd commit that I can think was different was that it was after a new address object was created.

We are well used to old boxes taking an age, but this is a 3020, and as noted above commits usually are fine but occasionally take forever with no obvious reason.  It only appears to occur to one box so we've been thinking it's something unique to the network that this is on (difficulty resolving FQDN objects, other connectivity issues etc) but just casting the net to see if anyone else has seen this specifically (not generally slow commits, but a specific box that is either very fast or very slow..).

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@apackard,

That doesn't seem normal at all if the configurations are the same. I can see the one taking drastically longer if it was a much larger configuration. I would potentially give a call to TAC and see if there isn't any hardware checks that can be run to verify that something in your box isn't dying, it could be that your storage is about ready to go out which would help explain why this is taking so long. 

L4 Transporter

I would echo what @BPry already mentioned and also add that sometimes we see longer than normal commit times if:

* the commit is waiting for another job to finish (FQDN refresh, software install,e tc)

* If running an HA pair and they are out of sync

* root partition has filled up and its trying to recover space with logrotation (ugh, happens too often on 5050s)

I would be leaning towards the hardware struggling due to age and it might be worth looking into rebuilding from a factory reset if you are able to.

Cheers both; we are about to raise a TAC call.

FWIW the hardware is new (circa 2 years old).  Fairly sure it's not a queue issue - the commit job starts fine, gets to 98% and just sits there; we had a commit take 24 minutes the other day, then another one later in the day was 20 secs.

Will feed back when we find the cause so others may learn from our pain.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!