wildcard fqdn for destination in security policy, custom URL category

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

wildcard fqdn for destination in security policy, custom URL category

L2 Linker

Hello folks,

I want to use a wildcard for a FQDN, e.g.    *.paloaltonetworks.com  

I want to use this as an object with a FQDN for the destination. 

I read in the following article I need to create a custom URL category, and use that in the "service/URL category" as part of the security policy. I was hoping to use this as a destination IP address but it looks like you cant do that, as you need to specify the FQDN as a URL catergory. My question is, what do I use for the destination IP address in the securty policy??? I am guessing it would be any IP adresses, and the limiting factor will be the URL category. 

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Featured-Articles/DotW-FQDN-Policy/ta-p/65110

Any help appreciated.... we live in a complicated world! 

thanks

D

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

I just use ANY as the FQDN lookup of the URL is the limiting factor.

If you wanted to prevent specific URLS on the domain then you would need a blocking blacklist rule with the specific URLS before the whitlisitng rule.

Rob

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Jedi_D,

You would either use the Destination address ANY, or you would utilize the wider IP Range/Cidr that you expect this service to be using. Sometimes you can setup the destination IP as a range, sometimes you'll only be able to use any. Depends on the service you actually wish to utilize. 

I just use ANY as the FQDN lookup of the URL is the limiting factor.

If you wanted to prevent specific URLS on the domain then you would need a blocking blacklist rule with the specific URLS before the whitlisitng rule.

Rob

thank you people, I appreciate all the answers. But I can only accept one solution.... thank to you all. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!