With GlobalProtect on Windows is it possible to exclude Chrome but include Firefox from routing through the VPN?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

With GlobalProtect on Windows is it possible to exclude Chrome but include Firefox from routing through the VPN?

L1 Bithead

I have to use Global Protect on my home Windows machine purely for accessing certain work-related websites that aren't accessible without it. Ideally I'd like the rest of my browsing (e.g. Youtube) to not have to go through it. My idea for achieving this is to use Chrome (unproxied) for all my non-work browsing and Firefox for accessing work sites.

Is that possible ?

I notice that in Chrome when you choose proxy in the settings it offers to "open the computer's proxy settings". Not really what I wanted, I hoped to see Chrome's own proxy settings, not the entire computer's. So if I were to choose to disable automatic proxy settings, then I'd be doing it for the whole computer, not just for Chrome.

If what I hoped to do isn't possible, has anyone else figured out an alternative solution for this?

I might not manage to log back in to reply. The login procedure for this community is ridiculous. I had to reset the password multiple times to get in.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

Network tab -> globalprotect gateways, agent, client config, split tunnel, domain and application.

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 10.11.41 AM.png

Help the community! Add tags and mark solutions please.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

L5 Sessionator

Network tab -> globalprotect gateways, agent, client config, split tunnel, domain and application.

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 10.11.41 AM.png

That looks perfect. Where do I find that? I don't have a network tab on my Global Protect client.

gpconfig.jpg

This is not within the GlobalProtect client, this is within the GUI of the NGFW management interface itself. This is configurable on the firewall, which then during the next heartbeat (the client connecting to the gateway) the settings populate. 

Sounds like your answer is aimed at a network administrator (who would have an "NGFW management interface"). Unfortunately I'm just a regular user. It seems like I can't control all that myself unless my employer's network types want to do that for me (which they certainly won't want to 🤔). Thanks though. I'll mark your reply as the answer.

Ah, yes. Unfortunately you won't be getting answers from the vendor on how to bypass their product! Haha. Best of luck, appreciate the solution marking. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!