Working temperature

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Working temperature

L1 Bithead

Hello everyone

What are the normal working temperature for palo-alto pa-820, pa-500  and pa-3020 ? 

It seems that it's beyond to the normal specifications ( above 40 °C )

Thanks's you for your answer

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Here is a link that talks about this.

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClzICAS

Looks like you are within the range.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

@Learner,

So I think your missing the difference between environmental temperature and the temperature of the equipment. The operating temp for the 800 series is up-to 40 degrees Celcius; but the actual device would report quite a bit hotter once it's turned on in a 40 degree environment. 

The critical internal temperature for most PA gear is 60 degrees Celcius. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Learner,

I guess I'm not getting what you're asking. The environmental operating tempature for the PA-820 for example is 0-40 degrees Celcius, however that doesn't mean it would just cease to function at 45 Celcius. It's at that temperature that you would start to see abnormal compodent failure rates due to the increased temperature. 

Hi BPry,

Thank you for your answer.

Sorry I may not be clear.

I have bought and installed 3 news PA (820 - 500 and 3020) spread on 3 distant site.

I monitore them with a tool, that send alarms because the temperature is above 40°C.

However, when I take a look about the trend, it seems to be normal.

So my question is what the normal working temperature of thes PA. I think is above 40°C, but I don't know the limit.

Hello,

Here is a link that talks about this.

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClzICAS

Looks like you are within the range.

Cheers!

@Learner,

So I think your missing the difference between environmental temperature and the temperature of the equipment. The operating temp for the 800 series is up-to 40 degrees Celcius; but the actual device would report quite a bit hotter once it's turned on in a 40 degree environment. 

The critical internal temperature for most PA gear is 60 degrees Celcius. 

Thanks you  Otakar.Klier, it's exactly what I was looking for.

In that way, I could set up my monitoring tool to launch alert such as warning if the temperature is above 60° and critical if above 65-67 ° C just under the limit.

Thank you very much

Thank you BPry,

Your answer is clear and you have realized that there were a confusion in understanding.

I am a new user of palo-alto firewall, and I hace a lot things to learn, I am happy, I will improve my knowledge day by day.

Thank you very much.

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!