GlobalProtect 6.0.0-44 GUI on Ubuntu Linux - starts multiple times, cannot close, general usability problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect 6.0.0-44 GUI on Ubuntu Linux - starts multiple times, cannot close, general usability problems

L0 Member

So I just changed companies and they use this VPN client.

Issues:

• It starts up multiple times (I currently have 3(!) instances in my task bar)
    • This was due to saving sessions in KDE; adding the process to a blacklist fixed this.  Still, the GUI should be programmed to detect other instances and only start once.
  • There's no way to close the GUI or shutdown the VPN service  (without using the command line to kill -9 the task)  - and no, I don't use the VPN all the time (such as when I'm on the company LAN) , so it's just intrusive for when I don't.
  • The GUI often hangs/becomes unresponsive
  • The GUI starts open when logging in to my desktop environment
  • Fonts are not scaled appropriately to fit the window size/screen resolution
  • Window can't be resized to view all the information

I'm hoping that some/all of these are just issues with my environment as I can't believe a commercially released product would exhibit such behaviour or be released at this quality level; it doesn't instill a great deal of confidence in the actual VPN product underlying it.

My environment:

• Ubuntu 20.04LTS (using KDE desktop)
  • GlobalProtect 6.0.0-44
  • Linux kernel 5.14.0-1058
  • ThinkPad T14 (official Linux support)

Appreciate any hints as to how to fix/mitigate these issues.

Wbr,

- Micha.

(Edit 1: cross-out multiple start issue; formatting)

2 REPLIES 2

L0 Member

Also having this issue.

Ubuntu 22.04.2, XFCE, Lightdm,

This is the package I am using: GlobalProtect_UI_focal_deb-6.0.5.1-12.deb

Hi pmurphybt,
I edited my ticket to mention that in my case the multiple clients it was due to saving sessions.  I had to black-list the GlobalProtect GUI client from being saved in the session and from that point onwards I no longer got multiple instances.  Hope this helps.

My other points remain. Now using globalprotect v6.1.0-44.

• 2 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!