GlobalProtect software versioning numbers do not make sense to me

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

GlobalProtect software versioning numbers do not make sense to me

L0 Member

Hello - new to the GlobalProtect VPN client.    We are in the processing of beginning to roll out the GP VPN client via GPO to our user base.  I occasionally receive emails from Palo stating that a new version of GP VPN client is available, but when I look at the software update page, the versions of GP VPN client for Windows 64-bit shown do not immediately make sense.   Example:  I received an email stating that GP VPN client version 6.0.10 is now available on 5/15/24, but when I look at the GP VPN client versions in the software downloads page, there are versions that go all the way up to version 6.2.3, but they have much older dates.  Typically, in this industry, the highest version number of the software indicates the latest release of the software.   Apparently Palo doesn't do it this way.    It's confusing.    Can anyone explain this to me?

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

There are multiple code trains currently maintained. With Covid 5.1 got its EOL date extended so they were maintaining more releases than they should of. First number, so "6" in this case, indicates major feature release. Second number is generally going to indicate if its a long term release and if something new needs to be added without it warranting an entirely new major release.

I would personally never go to a X.0 release, as these are newer and generally not supported for an extended period of time. We're currently running 6.2.X with no issues. If you dont need a specific feature in 6.2 you could probably run 6.1. 6.2 goes EOL May of 2025 and 6.1 goes EOL March of 2025. 

The versioning is mainly done this way so customers arent constantly have to update and test various major feature releases but could still get bugs, and possible vulns, addressed while sticking on their current code train.

I've linked the new features introduced and the software EOL summary.

End-of-Life Summary - Palo Alto Networks

Features Introduced in GlobalProtect App 6.2 (paloaltonetworks.com)

Features Introduced in GlobalProtect App 6.1 (paloaltonetworks.com)

Features Introduced in GlobalProtect App 6.0 (paloaltonetworks.com)

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!