GlobalProtect Web Portal - Domain Validation Code (DVC) - /.well-known/pki-validation

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

GlobalProtect Web Portal - Domain Validation Code (DVC) - /.well-known/pki-validation

L4 Transporter

Does anyone know how to go about performing domain validation for an IP address for the GlobalProtect Portal?

This is a standard supported by most Certificate providers but I can't find anything about it when searching Palo Alto's site.  With this tunnelcrack vulnerability and the need to use an IP address in the SAN of a publicly signed cert, I need to validate ownership of the IP and this appears to be the only method with DNS being out of the equation.

As an example this is digicert's method of validation: https://docs.digicert.com/en/certcentral/manage-certificates/dv-certificate-enrollment/domain-contro...

It essentially involves dropping a file in this standard directory path: [yourdomain.com]/.well-known/pki-validation/

Searching the KB's and Support I can't find a reference to this on Palo's site.

3 REPLIES 3

L4 Transporter

I didn't hear back here so opened ticket with Palo and I'm told that this isn't possible.  Basically they've put out this bulletin:

https://security.paloaltonetworks.com/PAN-SA-2023-0004

Asking us to assign an IP and change our certificate but have absolutely no way of doing so since a public cert can't be verified properly as the industry standard method of doing so is not available on the portal.  Just perfect!

L0 Member

I was going through the exact same journey and found this post in my travels. I was about to raise a support case with Palo but you saved me the trouble. The guidance in PAN-SA-2023-0004 appears to be very short sighted since, as you said, there is no way to properly validate that you own the IP address for the GlobalProtect portal. The only way I can see it working is if you use a local self-signed CA but that won't fly if you need a properly validated/trusted certificate.

L4 Transporter

Glad this helped. I've yet to received any more feedback on the issue but I'm betting this isn't something they can just snap their fingers with to fix. I'm really hoping they find it within themselves to address this in a more comprehensive way with PAN-OS itself.

• 3 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!