Which is the best "aes 128-cbc" or "aes 256 -gcm"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Which is the best "aes 128-cbc" or "aes 256 -gcm"

L2 Linker

hi friends,

I am trying to understand, which is the best among the below 2 IPSec encryptions?

1. "aes 128-cbc"
2. "aes 256 -gcm"

i am looking for opinions based on security and reliability. 

Thanks !!

Sourav Saha
2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Sourav_Saha 

We are using aes-256-cbc for encryption in our PA.

From a cryptographic perspective, though, both AES-CBC and AES-GCM are highly secure.

GCM provides authentication, removing the need for an HMAC SHA hashing function. It is also slightly faster than CBC because it uses hardware acceleration (by threading to multiple processor cores).

AES-128 provides more than enough security margin for the foreseeable future. But if you're already using AES-256, there's no reason to change.”

A larger key size provides a higher safety margin against being cracked.

So i will prefer you to choose 256 instead of 128 bit key size if you want more security.

It all depends on the each company setup.

You can use any of those it is just matter of preference.

Regards

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

@MP18 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Sourav Saha
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!