License Question: IoT Security VS IoT Security, Does Not Require Datalake

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

License Question: IoT Security VS IoT Security, Does Not Require Datalake

L1 Bithead

What is the effective difference between these two licenses? I cannot find much information on it.

I have a customer who purchased an IoT Security licenses for their PA-440's. They purchased the normal PAN-PA-440-IOT license but did not appear to purchase a Cortex Data Lake license with it. I notice that there is another type of IoT Security license, PAN-PA-440-IOT-DRDL, which means IoT Security, Does not Require Datalake. I'm trying to figure out if I'll need my customer to purchase a Data Lake license, or if I'll need them to switch to the DRDL version of the license, but I'm unsure of which option is correct since I've never configured IoT Security before. What are the implications of not using the Data Lake?

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

HI @inssider ,

Yes, the customer will need to purchase CDL.  https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/iot/iot-security-admin/get-started-with-iot-security/iot-security-...

I don't know if you can switch licenses once purchased.  The DRDL license is more expensive.  If you have a lot of NGFWs and a lot of IoT licenses, it is cheaper to purchase CDL separately.  I have also heard of more provisioning issues with the DRDL version through word of mouth and this thread.  https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/iot-security-discussions/iot-security-does-not-require-data-lak...

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

It appears that we have a Cortex Data Lake license in our assets inventory even though we never specifically ordered it:

inssider_0-1710871902044.png

Also, in the Support Portal under cloud services, I see this, but it says 0TB:

inssider_1-1710871950653.png

So is it possible that we got a "free" CDL license when buying IoT but it has no storage? 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @inssider ,

You get a free CDL when you enable telemetry and/or AIOps.  You cannot use that for IoT as the 0 TB indicates.  Unless you order DRDL, you don't get CDL with an IoT subscription.

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Makes sense. But is it possible to use IoT Security with no CDL while using the normal IOT license? We didn't order the DRDL one but we also didn't order a CDL. This is my dilemma. 

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!