Firewall PA-460 Redundant Power Alarm

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Firewall PA-460 Redundant Power Alarm

L2 Linker

Hello, i have appliance Firewall PA-460.

i do the testing power with this device.  i had read the docs below.

Interpret the LEDs on a PA-400 Series Firewall (paloaltonetworks.com)

Replace a Power Adapter on a PA-400 Series Firewall (paloaltonetworks.com)

I had several test below.

1. Place 2 adapter connect to firewall, its working normally.

2. Disconnect 1 adapter from firewall. No alarm shows/LED, in cli show adapter not inserted

3. Place 2 Adapter, but disconnect 1 adapter from power source. No Alarm, then in cli still show adapter inserted.

as i test above, the conclusion is the firewall doesn't check the voltage as the docs says. but in the cli only show the adapter is inserted/not (even the adapter has no power).

DennyChanditya_1-1664258001690.png

But the question is, how we know if the firewall had a power in each adapter?

how to generate alarm if one of the adapter have no power? as the note below it says if the 2 adapter inserted and on adapter fail it will show the alarm, but as i test it not showing any error, in web ui or even in cli.

DennyChanditya_0-1664257834327.png

Thanks,

Denny

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @DennyChanditya

thanks for the post!

I do not have exact same Firewall to test it, however I did some testing with a Firewall in my lab. If you are after alert for power failure, then you can get it from System logs by using this filter: ( eventid eq ps-inserted ) or ( eventid eq ps-removed )

You can configure under: Device > Log Settings > System, an alert using this filter with action email.

PavelK_0-1664515287043.png

Once power cable is disconnected or power outage to one adapter, you will get an email alert based on system log.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Hello Pavel,

The problem is, the system log only log when the adapter is disconnected from the firewall, it cannot detect the power.

If the adapter still connect to the firewall, but thereis no power. The firewall keep detecting the power is up, thereis no log show if the power is down. system log generate only when we disconnect the adapter manually.

When we disconnect the adapter/when adapter is connect but the power is down, no alarm was generated.

Thanks,

Denny

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for reply and providing further details @DennyChanditya

I see what you mean. In next week, I will be doing a few tests. I will let you know if I find something.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!