Network monitor shows huge traffic spike, but can't find traffic details

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Network monitor shows huge traffic spike, but can't find traffic details

L4 Transporter

Hey folks.

I had a situation today whereby one of my PA's was responding really slowly across IPSec tunnels and for Global protect clients - so once I could get onto it I started digging into the network monitor to see if I could find out if there was a link/network load issue.

I found a huge spike in traffic in the period concerned - much, much more than normal - but when I tried to check the traffic logs for matching application type, I can;t find anything which would come even close  to matching this level of load

darren_g_0-1694648084743.png

The above shows the spike from the traffic monitor - you can see the increase plainly - and it lists as ms-ds-smbv3 - but when I go looking for that app in the traffic logs - there's minimal amounts - and none of it is in the period indicated by the network traffic monitor.

Does anyone know where I can dig to try and find out where this traffic was from/to?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Hi @darren_g ,

Note that traffic log will be generated at the session end (by default) so if you filter your logs with timeframe you will be looking at the timeframe when the log was created. You may need to filter based on session start - which is available field in the log entry.

Also look at the amount of total bytes (column that summarize the sent and receive). You may also  try to apply filter to should only logs for SMB app that has total bytes greater than X

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!