Announcements
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Upgrade path from PANOS 10.2.8-h3 to 11.1.2-h3

L1 Bithead

Hi Experts, 

I'm going to upgrade from PANOS PANOS 10.2.8-h3 to 11.1.2-h3. Could you please advise me the download and install path. Additionally, Tell me how many reboots. It would require reaching out to 11.1.2-h3.

Thanks in advance

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L3 Networker

Hello,

"When you upgrade from one PAN-OS feature release version to a later feature release, you cannot skip the installation of any feature release versions in the path to your target release." - and the path to your target release is detailed on STEP 3.

Also, the recommend upgrade path include installing the latest preferred maintenance release from 10.2.x.

Now (when I'm writing), this preferred maintenance release is 10.2.9-h1 - Support PAN-OS Software Release Guidance 

In the Customer Support Portal you can see what the preferred versions for a specific platform are.

CosminM_0-1721398626145.png

Before any upgrade I highly recommend reading the release note of the version.

So, in your case the steps could be:

- check to be compliant with the required content updates (Associated Content and Software Versions for PAN-OS 11.1 )

- download and install the recommended maintenance release 10.2.9-h1 (first reboot)

- only download 11.1.0

- download and install 11.1.2-h3 (second reboot)

Before any upgrade I highly recommend reading the release note of that new version.

Cheers,
Cosmin

Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem!

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L3 Networker

Hello @deepakkumar29 

Please have a look here:

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/11-1/pan-os-upgrade/upgrade-pan-os/upgrade-the-firewall-pan... 

Cheers,
Cosmin

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem!

L1 Bithead

Thank you Yes, it says, we can directly upgrade to 11.1. But in same document it is mentioned at top --> When you upgrade from one PAN-OS feature release version to a later feature release, you cannot skip the installation of any feature release versions in the path to your target release. In addition, the recommended upgrade path includes installing the latest maintenance release in each release version before you download the base image for the next feature release version. To minimize downtime for your users, perform upgrades during non-business hours.

L3 Networker

Hello,

"When you upgrade from one PAN-OS feature release version to a later feature release, you cannot skip the installation of any feature release versions in the path to your target release." - and the path to your target release is detailed on STEP 3.

Also, the recommend upgrade path include installing the latest preferred maintenance release from 10.2.x.

Now (when I'm writing), this preferred maintenance release is 10.2.9-h1 - Support PAN-OS Software Release Guidance 

In the Customer Support Portal you can see what the preferred versions for a specific platform are.

CosminM_0-1721398626145.png

Before any upgrade I highly recommend reading the release note of the version.

So, in your case the steps could be:

- check to be compliant with the required content updates (Associated Content and Software Versions for PAN-OS 11.1 )

- download and install the recommended maintenance release 10.2.9-h1 (first reboot)

- only download 11.1.0

- download and install 11.1.2-h3 (second reboot)

Before any upgrade I highly recommend reading the release note of that new version.

Cheers,
Cosmin

L1 Bithead

Thank you, it makes sense now. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!