m500 to m700 migration

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

m500 to m700 migration

L2 Linker

Has any attempted to migrate from an M500 Panorama to an M700? Palo support documents seem to indicate that there is a gap in support between the two hardware models. M500 final code release 10.1 and M700 initial code release 10.2.

matrix link Palo Alto Networks Appliances

7 REPLIES 7

L4 Transporter

Hello @PktBlocker 

The end-of-life date for the M-500 is set for February 28, 2025. For platforms with an announced end-of-life date, there are software support limitations applied. Therefore, for the M-500, the maximum supported PAN-OS release is 10.1.x.

For newer platforms like the M-700, they will need to be on certain new codes, considering that eventually, the older software versions will also reach end-of-life status.

Anoopkumar
Network Security Engineer

L2 Linker

This is good information but does not answer the question posted.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @PktBlocker

thanks for posting!

In the past I have written 2 posts for Panorama migration. Could you check it to see it might help?

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/panorama-discussions/panarama-migration-m-100-to-m-200/td-p/434...

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/panorama-discussions/panorama-migration-from-m-100-to-m-200/td-...

Both posts are related to migration of different Panorama models than what you are asking, however concept is still the same.

If this is not useful, could you possibly elaborate more on your scenario? Are you replacing a single M-500 with single M-700 or are you having more complicated scenario with dedicated log collectors and Panorama managers?

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

L2 Linker

@PavelK I am replacing a pair of 500s.

One thing i noticed in the software catalogue is the availability of 10.2. As long as i have been a palo admin i have known that if it does not appear in the catalogue then it is not available. Has anyone else seen this?

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @PktBlocker

the latest PAN-OS version that M-500 supports is 10.1: Palo Alto Networks Compatibility Matrix. This is reason why you can't see 10.2 version.

Kind Regards

Pavel

L2 Linker

@PavelK You mis understand. I CAN see 10.2 as an available download on my M500.This is why i keep brining it up. The support pages show 10.1 as being the final release but in the software catelouge i see 10.2 as available to download and install. Can someone explain this? Does this mean that we can install 10.2 on an M500?

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @PktBlocker

thank you for reply.

I see what you mean. Unfortunately, I do not have an answer for this. I have seen similar case before with M-100 where appliance only supports 9.1, however 10.0 was available to be installed (Here is the reference: PAN-151238).

Although I have not found anything in known issue for M-500 I would not be surprised if this is similar what used to happen with M-100.

Kind Regards

Pavel

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!