Switch from Panorama Mode to Log Collector Mode Removes Logs?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Switch from Panorama Mode to Log Collector Mode Removes Logs?

L0 Member

I started with a Panorama (pan mode) VM 9.1.12-h3 and we only had a 200GB virtual logging disk (this was a throwback to when the system was originally built on PAN 4.6).  We needed to add more logging space and wanted to add a 2TB virtual logging disk.  A system limitation prevents you from adding an additional disk if the existing disk is less than 2TB.

I decided to rebuild Panorama on a new VM with a new logging disk of 2TB.  I created the new system from the 9.1.12 OVA, exported the configuration from the old Panorama and imported onto the new.  Everything in that respect is working well and we are now logging to the 2TB disk on the new Panorama.

Now my issue is that I want to be able to access the logs that remain on the old Panorama, through the Monitoring tab on the new Panorama.  The indication to me that this was possible is described here:
Migrate a Panorama Virtual Appliance to a Different Hypervisor (paloaltonetworks.com)
In step 10, part 1: To maintain access to logs stored on the old Panorama virtual appliance, change to Log Collector mode and add the Dedicated Log Collector to the new Panorama virtual appliance.

However, when I log onto the CLI of the old Panorama and enter the command:

> request system mode logger
The message returned is:

Executing this command will change the system to logger mode, logs will be removed. This will restart the system. Are you sure you want to continue? (y or n)
So this seems to be a contradiction to me because I am trying to maintain access to the logs on the old Panorama, as per the document, but this message would seem to indicate that all those logs will be removed?

Does anyone have experience with is?  Is it possible that only system logs will be removed from PAN VM System Disk, or is this really going to wipe all the logs from the virtual logging disk on the old Panorama, which means there is no point in doing this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

0 REPLIES 0
  • 0 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!