PA-VM-EVAL shutdown automatically after boot

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA-VM-EVAL shutdown automatically after boot

L1 Bithead

Hi All,

Recently I requested an Eval image of Palo alto when I install it just after boot it shows an error "Bits 55-60 of /proc/PID/pagemap entries are about to stop being page-shift some time soon".

And after that message it says " stopping pan software" and the VM machine stopped, I start the VM again and it still showing the same message and stop working. 

Any help on that, please?

Many Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18

L3 Networker

Only time I seen a vm unable to boot up successfully is when the ethernet in .vmx conf file was wrong.

see https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/general-topics/palo-alto-lab-in-vmware-workstation/td-p/78816

Vsys_remo answer and please set your management in either bridged or natted.

It could also be corrupt image.

Thanks for your reply, but my problem is not with the network adapters.

The VM turned off automatically after 5 min from boot, and the same thing with KVM image on GNS3.

I just found same issue as yours. But if you change VM time to 2021 it will not shutdown itself even still got the error message.

so, are you saying change the time on the PA-VM in the brief period before it shuts down or somewhere else? Thanks.

L1 Bithead

You need change the time in the PA VM BIOS like 2021?. otherwise it will shutdown automatically later.

Thanks for your help but the VM still shutdown automatically even when I changed the year to 2021 from the bios of PA VM, I don't know about you @FredRenner68 any luck?

L1 Bithead

1. turn off the VM time sync with host in VM bios setting.

2. Factory reset the PA-VM by input maint when booting the PAN-OS.

L1 Bithead

Hi,

I've same issue with my evaluation VM 10.0.4.
I already tried by setting the BIOS time to 2021, time sync from esx host to the VM is disabled, factory default executed on the VM.
After factory default was finished, the VM rebooted. Few minutes after a login prompt was shown, the VM has initiated shutdown procedure (init 0).

L1 Bithead

Hi,

Did you change your VM BIOS time to 2021 or older too?

L0 Member

I'm running it on ESXi. I have found that even if I disable the VM from synchronizing with the host I still get the shutdown behavior. The only workaround I have found to work is to change the time on the ESXi host to 2021 then boot the PA-VM. Once it is on line I can correctly set the time on ESXi, as long as I don't reboot the PA-VM it will continue to run for the duration of the eval period. This is not ideal, since it's an eval and used for experimenting I find myself wanting to reboot periodically, but it works.

Yes, I did all the steps as described in my first post

It is not option for me to change the date on a ESX host since it is used for much more than PA.

Also I tried to use it on EVE-NG but has a same issue. Additional issue on EVE-NG is that you can't enter the BIOS to change the date.

However the issue within PAN-OS that automatically shutdown the VM if the date is after 2021 sounds to me as a bug.

Did someone tried to create a support ticket about this issue?

L1 Bithead

Me & others are facing the same issue. https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/general-topics/palo-alto-firewall-vm/m-p/484117

Would be great if someone could share a solution to this problem? Thanks. 🙂

L1 Bithead

I just spoke someone from Palo Alto. This issue is known and id under investigation to pinpoint the reason.

• 18 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!