Unable to start trial VM on ESXi

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Unable to start trial VM on ESXi

L1 Bithead

Hello,

I am trying to run trial VM in VMware ESXi. After initial boot, it brings me to login screen. I type admin for username and got the following message:

TodorPetkov_0-1684846059186.png

I waited 10 minute to make sure all processes are up, but to no avail. Is there anything that I am missing?

Environment details:

Source template: PA-VM-ESX-10.2.5.vm_eval.ova

ESXi: VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 17167734, Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5640 @ 2.27GHz.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

L1 Bithead

Hello @TodorPetkov ,

I had the same issue when installing trial VM in VMware ESXi. I understand that there are 3 "login" prompts:

vm login:

PA-HDF login:

PA-VM login:

Ultimately you want to get the "PA-VM login" prompt to log in with the admin/admin credentials. However, it does not go past the first prompt when installing in VMware ESXi. The workaround I tried and was able to get working was by stopping the VM bootup process by typing "maint" immediately after startup. This has to be done rather quick as the VM boots up fast.

If successful, you must give it time as it is booting into Maintenance Mode.

MaintenanceMode.jpg Once in Maintenance Mode, select "Continue --> Disk Image --> Reinstall 10.x.x.

Spiterman_0-1685147711913.png

Spiterman_1-1685147808355.png

After some time it will display a successful result. Scroll all the way down to select Reboot option. After this you should be able to get the "PA-VM login:" prompt and you can proceed to log in with the default credentials.

Also, make sure to first add enough Network Adapters to your VM to connect to your virtual environment and to assign different Zones to those interfaces. Basically every NA will correspond to an interface on the FW.

Hope this helps!

L1 Bithead

Had the same issue but my prompt did not change after reinstalling the image but remained as "PA-HDF login:"
Just tried to login and it worked. (Just in case you are waiting for the prompt to change).

L1 Bithead

You can press CTRL-D to force a new login prompt (to see if it changed).

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!