How to see geneve encapsualted header information in packet capture

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

L0 Member

5 REPLIES 5

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @Sephora_IT

from your post it is not clear how this is related to Palo Alto, however Wireshark is supporting GENEVE ever since version 2.0.0. The dissector is using default port UDP 6081. If you expand packet details, you should see details of encapsulated frame/packet.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Hi @PavelK 

I am guessing @Sephora_IT  question is related to the GENEVE encapsulation between GWLBe (endpoint) in AWS and VM-Series firewall.

Unfortunately I don't believe it is possible to capture GENEVE encapsulation with packet capture on the firewall...Not sure if enabling "pre-parse match" could help, but it should be used only with low volume of traffic

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @aleksandar.astardzhiev

I see. Thank you for input.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

L1 Bithead

you can enable capturing the GENEVE encapsulated traffic by running the following command in CLI:

debug dataplane packet-diag set capture encapsulation yes

Thanks for the debug command, after enabling I can see the udp/6081 encapsulation in my captures. 

Dan 

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!