Moving a Palo VM to different Azure subscription

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Moving a Palo VM to different Azure subscription

L1 Bithead

We have an existing production VM in Azure and need to move from our current subscription to a new subscription. Does anyone have any experience with this type of migration? It might be less migration and more deploy new and restore config, but any insight would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

L2 Linker

Were you able to get it moved? The last time I had to do this, I learned it the hard way that MarketPlace VMs do not like to be moved and need to be redeployed. You can at the most clone the OS disk or move the original disk after deleting the virtual machine from source subscription. I would be interested to learn more about your experience or if you had a different approach.

Hi Delvin, I created a new VM with the same base config, imported a backup of the existing VM and then transferred the license. I'm guessing that's probably the easiest way to do it.

I am trying to move Panorama VM from one azure region to another and have built a new Panorama instance in the new region. How did you transfer the licenses? Is this something we can do from support portal or do we need to engage TAC?

You can transfer the licenses yourself by following the, Deactivate the VM from the Firewall documentation. I've had success and misses in my attempts through different versions of PAN-OS. 

L1 Bithead

I've used the same process linked above mostly with success. With a Panorama VM I have been able to edit the serial number directly on the firewall under Panorama, Management, General Settings

• 5 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!