Palo HA in Azure - traffic flow

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Palo HA in Azure - traffic flow

L4 Transporter

I have a pair of VM300 gateways running 9.1.13 in Azure. I'm using a 'load balancer sandwich' approach to provide active active HA.

The public load balancer in front of the firewalls does a good job of delivering inbound traffic.  However, routing to the internal destinations from the inside of the firewalls isnt ideal currently.  I find i have to source nat the traffic to each firewall's internal interface if i want the replies to take the correct return path. This loses the original internet client's real IP.  Without this source natting, even if the return traffic routes correctly to the firewall pair, it may not egress out the same gateway that it entered through. Making the traffic lose state.

Is there another way i can use two firewalls in active active HA and have the return traffic flow correctly?

2 REPLIES 2

L2 Linker

Hi Jim.  You should not need to be using source NAT to maintain session symmetry in Azure.  Which load balancer are you using on the inside?  Basic, Standard SKU?

Scott Thornton

L4 Transporter

Hi Scott. Traffic initiated from internet passes through the outside load balancer (standard public SKU) to the Palo pair, and then straight to the backend servers.  I am using port Natting between the outside LB and the Palo pair to allow traffic differentiation. Without a source NAT, the reply traffic uses the user defined route which sets the inside load balancer (standard sku internal) as its next hop. a traffic capture sees this delivered to either Palo, not necessarily to the one the original traffic came through.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!