Using the PALOs internal IP as an injected header

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Using the PALOs internal IP as an injected header

L0 Member

Hello

I'm very new to Palo, but not new to firewalls and my background is more with applications. This is to do with HTTP(S) traffic with a GET verb and Health Checks in AWS.  This is a pre-existing system deployed in AWS as EC2s and I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

I'm trying to see if there is a way of injecting something unique about each firewall to identify which firewall some HTTP(S) traffic came through.  This can be anything, I'm really not picky: Internal IP, AWS Instance ID, hostname, MAC address, anything that is unique.  . 

The incoming request for this port will always be a GET and there is nothing at AWSs load balancers that will let me differentiate, so I'm hoping the PALO can add something.

Injection can be either as a header, a query parameter, or change the GET to a POST and add some JSON body to it with some unique data, I'm open to anything.  

The PALOs are Active/Active with the same firewall configuration on each, so I don't think I can hard code any values in the "Http Header Insertion" --> Custom Headers section.

I may have missed something very obvious (be gentle - its my first post here and I tried to do my research first).  If I have, or you have any suggestions, I'm open to any ideas

If it makes any difference the devices are at PAN-OS 10.1

Thank you

1 REPLY 1

L0 Member

Turns out we can't do this as the check happens on the management plane not the data plane.

If anyone replies, I am still curious about header injection though

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!