Cortex XDR Agent V 8.0.1.100321 is not running correctly on Elementary OS 7 (Horus)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Cortex XDR Agent V 8.0.1.100321 is not running correctly on Elementary OS 7 (Horus)

L1 Bithead

I have installed Cortex XDR on my corporate laptop which runs the subjected Linux operating system. I used the DEB package and used below command to install.

sudo dpkg -i <cortex_pacakage>.deb

But after the installation Cortex agent is not running properly. Please see to the attached screenshot.

15 REPLIES 15

L5 Sessionator

Hi @DS1465 ,

Elementary OS is a flavour of Linux distro. However, it is not in the list of supported operating systems for Cortex XDR agent installation. Please refer to the below for list of supported OS:
 https://docs-cortex.paloaltonetworks.com/r/Cortex-XDR/Cortex-XDR-Compatibility-Matrix/Linux

But the elementary runs on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS version which is a compatible OS according to the documentation.

Hi @DS1465 , 

there are many flavours of OSs of linux that are built on the base version. But we support only the base flavours of linux, eg, CentOS, Ubuntu, RHEL etc and not the customised OS versions. As a result, it is not suppported.

Hi Neel,

Would appliances running on custom Linux OSs be compatible with XDR? What should be the approach to understanding the compatibility as installing XDR on it might cause issues.

Regards,

Shahwaz

Hi @Shahwaz_Md ,

We do not support custom OS and any OS beyond the list mentioned in the list: Where Can I Install Cortex XDR Agent? 

Regards

Those appliances are running on Compatible OSs such as RHEL, SUSE, etc, but these are OEM-provided hardened OSs. Can we install XDR on them?

OEM hardened versions are mostly changes in the kernels. If the kernel is a customisation, you would be able to install cortex xdr agent on them, but the oem kernels are not supported and as a result the agent will not operate properly and many functions will not work properly. 

In short, we support only vanilla format of linux OS with kernel versions support required for agent operation :Cortex XDR Supported Kernel Versions 

Hope this helps!

Same issue occurred from the same .DEB installer when I try on an Ubuntu 22.04 machine?!

Hi Neel,

I have one more query, can we install xdr on Citrix ADC, did not find anything in comp matrix.

Hi @DS1465 ,

Are you sure, all the requirements below are met?
https://docs-cortex.paloaltonetworks.com/r/Cortex-XDR/7.7/Cortex-XDR-Agent-Administrator-Guide/Corte...

@Shahwaz_Md , you can install cortex xdr agent on endpoints or VMs hosted on citrix  ADC, but not on Citrix ADC itself.

L5 Sessionator

Hi @DS1465 ,

Also, I saw your screenshot. And from the attachment, it seems the cytool services are running as needed. I see you have attempted starting of cortex xdr services on the machine using cytool command, but it is correct that the 2 other services will be stopped except at times when there is a prevention attempt on malicious activity.

So if you installed the agent on Ubuntu and saw the same, there is no error. It is expected and the agent would be running fine

Hi @neelrohit,

But I still can't see the endpoint on console.

Hi @DS1465 ,

did you try to test connectivity to the cloud from the agent?? What was the output of cytool connectivity_test? 
In case you haven't, can you run this command? If you get error, it means the agent is not able to connect to the cloud and hence not able to register to the cloud console.

Hi @neelrohit ,

I have tried connectivity test and it is giving an error. Screenshot is already attached herewith.

• 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!