Cortex XDR unable to detect nbns spoofing using kali linux responder

Announcements

ATTENTION Customers, All Partners and Employees: The Customer Support Portal (CSP) will be undergoing maintenance and unavailable on Saturday, November 7, 2020, from 11 am to 11 pm PST. Please read our blog for more information.

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

Cortex XDR unable to detect nbns spoofing using kali linux responder

Hello, I am new to Cortex XDR, I  just installed it. I tried nbns spoofing on a pc with Cortex XDR and it did not stop or detect it. My previous test with Symantec was detected and stopped. Any thoughts on this? 

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Hi @tech_noob-

Can you please provide a little more context?  Let's start with which Cortex XDR license type(s) are you running?  

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/cortex/cortex-xdr/cortex-xdr-prevent-admin/cortex-xdr-prevent-over...

David Falcon 
MDR Systems Engineer, Cortex
Palo AltoNetworks® 
L1 Bithead

I am using XDR prevent currently. My vendor made an error we are supposed to  get pro and I am waiting for the upgrade in the next week or so.

Highlighted
L0 Member

Im curious what was detected on the endpoint for symantec to identify it as malicious behavior and stop it?

My understanding is that responder is listening for those multicast queries from your endpoint and responding when received.

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

Yes, Symantec detected it and stopped it on the endpoint. We upgraded our Cortex to Pro and I will test again under Cortex Pro maybe it will detect it as BIOC on the endpoint. I will post the result. 

Highlighted
L0 Member

Please comment when you have the results we have prevent and many of the web servers will not detect attacks at the network level with this protection

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!