Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Dataset name change

L2 Linker

Hello, 

I have linux logs which comes as:
[INGEST:vendor="unknown", product="unknown", target_dataset="unknown_unknown_raw", no_hit = drop]

It is collected under the dataset name called "unknown_unknown_raw". But I want to change its dataset name to something else. How can I do that?

3 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Then your best option is:

- Go to your Broker VM, edit the Syslog configuration, and then hardcode the vendor and product fields with the source IP of the logs. Take a look at this example in my lab:

jmazzeo_0-1709038334736.png

- This will create a NEW dataset with the configured fields like this: vendor_product_raw

We have our doc here with more Parsing Rule info: https://docs-cortex.paloaltonetworks.com/r/Cortex-XSIAM/Cortex-XSIAM-Administrator-Guide/Create-Pars...

There is a webinar available here with some very useful basic concepts: https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/cortex-xdr-webinars/cortex-customer-success-webinar-series-part...

JM

View solution in original post

• You can go to Settings - Data Broker - Broker VM, click on the Syslog Applet and select "Configure".

jmazzeo_0-1709040232198.png

• You can edit the default rule without any specific IP, and there change the Vendor and Product.

jmazzeo_1-1709040383726.png

jmazzeo_2-1709040413932.png

• The "Syslog Collector" settings works like a firewall rule, works from the top to the bottom. You can have specific rules with IPs on top, and a default one without that setting configured in the last position.

jmazzeo_3-1709040524130.png

JM

@jmazzeo I understand, thank you. And, please, can you answer this:

As you know PaloAlto has recently changed their licenses for Cortex XDR. As I know before it was Data Lake license with TBs but now, it is GB/per day. How can I calculate how much GB I need to buy for fully take advantage of this. Is there any sizing method? 

7 REPLIES 7

L4 Transporter

Hi @JahidAliyev, thanks for reaching us using the Live Community.

Are you using Broker VM Syslog to forward those logs to the console?

JM

Hi @jmazzeo, yes, i am using Broker VM

Then your best option is:

- Go to your Broker VM, edit the Syslog configuration, and then hardcode the vendor and product fields with the source IP of the logs. Take a look at this example in my lab:

jmazzeo_0-1709038334736.png

- This will create a NEW dataset with the configured fields like this: vendor_product_raw

We have our doc here with more Parsing Rule info: https://docs-cortex.paloaltonetworks.com/r/Cortex-XSIAM/Cortex-XSIAM-Administrator-Guide/Create-Pars...

There is a webinar available here with some very useful basic concepts: https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/cortex-xdr-webinars/cortex-customer-success-webinar-series-part...

JM

@jmazzeo  As I understand I cannot change it directly. I need to change it from syslog collector. What if I have many linux endpoints that each sends logs to Broker VM. Do I need to do this action manually? I mean source IP is different for each linux endpoint. 

• You can go to Settings - Data Broker - Broker VM, click on the Syslog Applet and select "Configure".

jmazzeo_0-1709040232198.png

• You can edit the default rule without any specific IP, and there change the Vendor and Product.

jmazzeo_1-1709040383726.png

jmazzeo_2-1709040413932.png

• The "Syslog Collector" settings works like a firewall rule, works from the top to the bottom. You can have specific rules with IPs on top, and a default one without that setting configured in the last position.

jmazzeo_3-1709040524130.png

JM

@jmazzeo I understand, thank you. And, please, can you answer this:

As you know PaloAlto has recently changed their licenses for Cortex XDR. As I know before it was Data Lake license with TBs but now, it is GB/per day. How can I calculate how much GB I need to buy for fully take advantage of this. Is there any sizing method? 

Yes, there is a sizing method available. Please talk with your PANW Sales contact and they will help you with that.

If you found any of the previous replies as the answer to the inquiry, please mark it as the solution.

JM
  • 3 accepted solutions
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!